Prior posts in this series for comparisons:
iPad PDF Torture Test: GoodReader Vs. Processed World
The PDF Torture Test The iPad 2 And iPhone 4s Failed
Update On iPad 2 And Google Books PDFs
Google Books PDF Smackdown: NookColor Vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab Vs. iPad
Google Books PDF On HTC Flyer
eInk Nook Reading Google Books PDF
More PDF Action On Rooted NookColor
Google Books PDF On Rooted NookColor
And if you want to play along at home:
This is a follow-up to: The PDF Torture Test The iPad 2 And iPhone 4s Failed and iPad PDF Torture Test: GoodReader Vs. Processed World.
And we have a bonus too, the PDF being tried on an HP TouchPad!
This video was shot by HP TouchPad maven Jonathan Ezor, aka @webOSquire:
That’s very exciting. It shows minimal delays for displaying it and is acceptable for reading it on the HP TouchPad!
It’s clear that for best results, some PDFs need to be opened up and tweaked to make them faster for a tablet. This is not that much work and is worth it to be able to read things that are no longer in print and highly likely to remain that way!
Of course, as tablets continue to become more powerful, and PDF software continues to evolve, this kind of conversion will no longer be necessary.
If you want to play along at home with this new version:
Google Docs: PWPDF3bHigh.pdf – app 14 MBs
Some background on how this was all done.
I searched and wound up downloading a free program called PDF-XChange Viewer.
I Exported all the pages:
Let’s pause to look at the size of each page’s image scan:
And I saved them as JPEG (they’re originally in JPEG2000):
Note that they’re 300 dpi. I didn’t change the size or DPI, just the file format.
And told the software to give each on a unique page number in the filename:
And off it went:
I have a crap slow PC, so this all took about forty minutes. On modern machines, I’m sure it’d take a few minutes.
Thumbnail view of exported page scans:
And a view by file size list:
Here’s one of them opened in another free program I already had, IrfanView:
Given the dimensions it’s reporting in the lower left corner, it seems exporting to JPEG made them even larger. However, I’m no expert at images and using a grab-bag of programs brings a lot of uncertainties into the process. Anyway, look at how sharp that image is even when zoomed-in so much!
Unfortunately, this left me with a set of thumbnails that was over a whopping fifty megabytes! And a PDF created from them was about the same size.
I tried doing an Export, cutting the DPI down to 100:
But something went awry in the process. It got hung up on one page and then every page after that one turned out blank!
Instead of going through that again, I decided to cheat by just using a dedicated program to bulk resize (and rename) the already-exported JPEGs. I used FastStone Photo Resizer. And what I did was specify a width of 768 pixels, the same width as an iPad screen.
And here’s a list of the renamed page scans listed by file size:
Zooming in a lot shows the reduced resolution:
But that doesn’t really matter. What does is being able to read them conventionally without page rendering taking up to twelve seconds!
Then I used a demo version of Nitro PDF to create the PDF file (which I also used for the bloated fifty-meg PDF).
It went from about 6MBs to over 14MBs, but still: Mission accomplished. Now it can be read without all those irritating rendering delays.
For those interested, here’s a peek at the metadata of the original PDF from the Internet Archive:
Thanks again to Laura Fullton and to Jonathan Ezor the testing and videos!