Today is the big protest in my Hood against the police death of Eric Garner.
1) It was claimed Eric Garner sold someone illegal cigarettes. Yet the buyer wasn’t arrested.
2) Cops lie all the time. We’ve seen that over and over with the Occupy movement, where video evidence have shown cops have blatantly lied. So I don’t believe the cop’s claim.
3) The cop had a history with Garner. He knew Garner was an easy pinch. He also knew Garner was non-violent.
4) People bring up Garner’s prior arrests. Some of these are what we’d call bullshit arrests: Possessing a small amount of marijuana, possessing cigarettes not taxed in New York State, selling cigarettes not taxed in New York State. Had our scummy prior Mayor and his City Council stooges not raised the cigarette tax to one of the highest in the nation, they wouldn’t have created this type of “crime.”
5) The cop who put Garner in a chokehold wanted to be violent.
6) There was no reason to subdue Garner at that moment. Five — even ten — minutes of more talking could have effected an arrest without any death or injury. That cops believe they just have to snap their damn fingers and people must hop to obey in cases like this — where no violence is involved — is ridiculous. Let me repeat: Cops lie all the time. According to Garner, the cop was lying in this instance. Let me repeat: Why wasn’t the buyer arrested? How can there be an asymmetrical crime where selling is illegal but buying isn’t? Why aren’t judges throwing out cases where no buyers have also been arrested?
7) If possessing cigarettes not taxed in New York State is a crime, then all the daily commuters who bring them in from their homes in New Jersey and Connecticut must also be arrested.
8) If I had my way, I’d nullify all “crimes” dealing with cigarettes, roll back the stupid taxes, and I’d want to see the officer fired and convicted of negligent homicide.
Eric Garner didn’t need to die.